David Burdus worked as the Senior Reporter & Researcher for Gateshead Council AIRS Service within Library and Arts in 1986. He moving on to be one of England's first Access Officers based in South Tyneside Council's Planniing Department but advising all departments, writing policy and training. He worked with with:
- Planning and Building Control Applications, Highways schemes
- Housing Adaptation
- Borough Access Campaign including marketing, branding, sponsored car, promotional materials, grant scheme.
- The Mayor's Charity Appeal
- Pulbic Speaking
- Selling consultancy services outside the Borough for income generation.
In 1992, Burdus' first client was the Tyne and Wear Development Corporation - a regeneration agency covering four local authority areas. TWDC’s Access Strategy was produced and implemented by David Burdus, used in the Minister for Disabled People’s national media campaign as an example of good practice and awarded the Ratcliffe Mobility Award by HRH Prince Charles.
Burdus' work with local authorities is wide ranging:
- Access Plans, Access Audits, Policy work
- City Centre Access Strategies
- Support to Teams on national lottery funding applications
- Overview of recruitment processes
- Council Offices Refurbishment
- Disability Equality Impact Assessments
- Up-skilling and officer toolkits
Burdus specialise in delivering reports to tight deadlines and offering ''fast-track' solutions.
Whatever the subject, methodology customarily addresses:
- Council Policy
- Consultation with end users
- Director and Senior Officer brainstorming/briefing
- Staff interviews
- Impact assesment
- Action planning
- Review service/provision against action pan
- Report and strategy production
Work often involves:
- Promotion of relations and communications between the authority and disabled people
- Establishing common thinking and solutions acceptable to both parties.
- Expert witness
- Mediation, facilitation and advice.
Above photo is David Burdus facilitating specialist access workshops for Kent County Council on the Ashford Ring Road Phase 1 Shared Surfaces.
Examples of Local Authority Projets include:
- The Sage Gateshead, The Baltic and the Millennium Bridge - all Gateshead Council
- Harlow Council Buildings Access Audit
- Kent County Council - Ashford Ring Road Phase 1 Specialist Access Panel review and report
- Castle Borough Morpeth Castles Woods & Water Access Strategy
- North Tyneside Council Lettings Policy and Toolkit
- The Accessible City - Newcaslte City Council's Access Policy bid to the Millennium Commission
- Northumberland County Council - Disability Awareness Training
- ONE North East Project Managers Inclusive Design Planning and Statementing Tool Kit including project Access Consultancy planner and calculator, Peer Support, Officer Training, Case Studies and Guidance
- Bridlington Sea Front Redevelopment
- Street Furniture, A-boards and Shop Display Policy Report for Stockton Borough Council
- Westminster City Council Parliament Square Urban Plan Review & Report
Website content © Burdus Ltd | tel 01434 633203 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Site designed by Burdus
Burdus support the BWRA - The British Wheelchair Racing Association.